Tips on Tuesday will return again next week… this week we are focusing on Mermaids!!
Two weeks ago, on the Facebook page, I polled the fans to see whether they would be interested in Mermaid or Unicorn crafts. Although it was a close race, the Mermaids won the vote and this week will be dedicated to crafting with a splash!
It was obvious to me that I would be doing a mermaid amigurumi but I was unsure which pattern I would be using. If you are a fan on the Facebook page, you may remember the pattern link I posted at the beginning of the month from Neogurumi. I had planned on making this adorable mermaid to showcase, but she was a bit bigger than I had originally thought.
The search for the perfect mermaid began… I wanted something that was relatively small and worked up quickly – with summer approaching, there is a lot of yard and housework that has to be done, so a quick project was a must have. I also wanted to find a free pattern that I could share with my readers and fans that they could make easily if they wanted. Thanks to Pinterest, I stumbled this adorable mermaid from Black Hat Llama.
Alterations to the Original Pattern
As with every pattern I use, I tend to make slight alterations and this one was no different. I was recently gifted new crochet hooks… and I must say – I absolutely LOVE my new Clover hooks. Previously, I had been using bamboo hooks – which I preferred over basic metal hooks. I have every size imaginable of the bamboo hooks and they have lasted me over 8 yrs (apart from the occasional loss when the puppy decided to use my hooks as a chew toy). I currently only have 10 sizes of the Clover hooks… and of course, I did not have the required 3mm hook that this pattern called for. I used the 3.25mm hook and my completed mermaid measures close to 6 inches in length.
I used 9mm Safety eyes which I placed between rows 12 and 13 with a spacing of 7 stitches. Unlike the pattern suggests, I place my eyes prior to stuffing the doll and before the neck opening gets too small – I believe I inserted them when I reached row 10 of the pattern.
The hair for this project was a bit of a challenge. In all honesty, I have never created a doll with this much hair. Although I used the technique suggested in the pattern (pictured above, right) I found the coverage was not as I had anticipated and I added in single strands underneath the “cap” (pictured left).
A small wooden flower button and felt “cheeks” glued in place helped to complete this look. When all is said and done, I am super happy with this little mermaid and will definitely be making more of her in the future!