I have had this pattern ready for several weeks, with the intent on posting it in September. Unfortunately, every pattern tester I sent this to, still has yet to get back to me. I have made the executive decision to offer this pattern, UNTESTED, in hopes that someone will still be able to use it before Halloween.
If you are interested in being a pattern tester for future patterns, please do not hesitate to contact me via facebook. This pattern is also available on Ravelry (for free) if you would prefer to have a downloadable version.
This pattern is worked in rounds (except for the last two rows), and from the top down. The size of this pattern can easily be adjusted by increasing the number of rounds in the crown and in the body. There are two methods you could use to start the hat – the Chain method or the magic circle method (only choose one).
TERMS used in this Pattern:
SC: Single Crochet
HDC: Half Double Crochet
Sl St: Slip Stitch
FO: Finish Off
Hooks: 5.0mm & 5.5mm hooks
Yarns: Any worsted weight yarns
I used Loops & Threads Impeccable: White, Black and any accent colour.
Gauge: 2 inches = 8HDC; 6 rows
Using 5.5mm hook
Worked mostly in the round; use a stitch marker to keep track of your rounds.
- Using White Yarn, Ch2. HDC 4 into the second chain from the hook.
ALTERNATIVELY – HDC 4 into a magic circle (4)
- HDC around for 10 rounds (4 per round)
- 2HDC, HDC in next 3 (5)
- 2HDC, HDC in next 4 (6)
- 2HDC, HDC in next 5 (7)
- 2HDC around (14)
- *2HDC, HDC* around (21).
- *2HDC, HDC in next 2* around (28)
- *2HDC, HDC in next 3* around (35)
- *2HDC, HDC in next 4* around (42)
- *2HDC, HDC in next 5* around (49)
>> This is the portion of the pattern where you would add more increase rounds in you wish to make a larger version of the hat
- HDC around for rounds 9 (49 per round)
>> This is the portion of the pattern where you would add more rounds if you are increasing the size.
- HDC in 40, SC 9. Sl St to the first stitch of the last row (49)
- SC in the third loop of every stitch. Sl St to the first stitch. FO. Weave in ends (49)
Using 5.0mm hook
Pupils (make 2)
- Using White Yarn, Ch2. HDC 6 into the second chain from the hook. Sl St to the first stitch. FO, leaving a long tail for sewing. (6)
Eyes (make 2)
Worked in the round
- Using Black Yarn, Ch5. HDC into the second chain from the hook, HDC 2, 3HDC in the last chain. Now working up the opposite side of the chain, HDC 2, 2 HDC in the last chain (10)
- 2HDC, HDC in next 2, 2HDC in next 3, HDC in 2, 2HDC in next 2. Sl St. FO, leaving long tail for sewing. (16)
- Ch 10, SC in second from hook and across (9). Ch1, turn.
- SC across for 3 rows (9). Ch1, turn.
- SC in 8 stitches, 2SC in the last stitch. Now working down the side of the bow, SC 3, 2SC in corner stitch. Now working along the bottom of the bow, SC 7, 2SC in the last stitch. Turn so you are working back up the last side, SC 3, Sl St in corner stitch. FO, leaving a long tail for wrapping and sewing.
- Using a needle, weave the yarn into the middle of the bow and wrap several times causing the bow to pinch in the center.
Refer to the finished image as a guide for placement of the features.
- Using white yarn, create a loop with the top portion of the hat and sew in place.
- Using the tail from the pupils, sew into place on the black eyes.
- Using the tail from the eyes, sew into place on the hat.
- Using the tail from the bow, sew into place on the hat.